Skip to main content

Post Holiday Yoga

Wednesday, December 26, 2018
So much cheese.

So much champagne.

So little yoga....

I'm writing this post at 9:52AM, way later than I usually ever start a post on a normal work day.  I'm lucky in that I get a wonderful holiday break all the way through to January 2.

Yes, like most, I intend to "de-tox" after the new year, but I know that I'll be in much better shape for that de-tox if I go into 2019 with a strong yoga base.  Long story short, I'm going to use the time I have off to rededicate to my practice.

Physically, I feel bloated, full, and sore.  I have over-indulged in food and drink for nearly two weeks now, and I feel like it's caught up to me.  I tire easily, I crave more junk food than normal, and my spirits are up-beat, but not very energetic.  I'm going to intentionally move with a good deal of strength on my mat today to sweat things out, but I expect to be blocked in several areas (forward bends, inversions, etc.).

Mentally, I feel steady, but I've had irrational fears and anxieties flitting through my head.  I can usually push those negative thoughts to the side, but, sometimes, my brain fixates onto something, and I can't move it out.  Too much coffee, and low-self-esteem from my all-cheese-all-champagne diet has made me feel a little bad about myself.  lol

I laugh at my anxieties and fears when I'm on my mat, and I burn through them, and any other negativities that are running around in my heart/mind/body/soul.

Time to meditate, and sweat it out.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 (Part II)

I'm writing this on my mat, having just come out of Savasana.

I don't even know where to begin.....

I went on an emotional, physical and spiritual journey in the 60-70 minutes I spend meditating, praying, and moving in/out of my Asana (postures) sequence. 

I felt good, bad, horrified, delighted, shamed, proud, unsure, certain, vulnerable and protected.  I know this sounds like tripe, but it's true; I believe that physical postures and sweating/heating your body releases things (both good and bad) to be sent up through your mind, body, soul, etc.  Think of Luke Skywalker when Yoda was having him balance rocks whilst in a handstand; he's successfully holding a one-armed handstand while lifting stones with his mind.  So focused was Luke that the windows of reality aligned for a split moment, and he saw a glimpse into the future. 

No, I'm not saying that yoga practice grants you glimpses into the future, but the physical strain and discipline dissolves things in your body that you're holding onto (whether you know it or not), and they dissipate and disappear as thoughts, ideas, (both good and bad) and you keep moving through it.  It's a metaphor for life, if there ever was one. lol

Mentally, I'm feeling proud and refreshed.  Physically, I'm drenched in sweat and proud of what I accomplished on my mat today.  I know that the first time I go back after a hiatus of a week or more, the practice can seem easy, my body is cooperative and almost wants to be moved deeper into each post, I'll be stiff as a board tomorrow, but I'll simply warm up again, and break through it again, as I did today.

Life is good.

Namaste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebuild

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Woke at my usual 4:45AM this morning for coffee and contemplation. Feeling wonderful this morning, and not terribly sore at all.  There's a bit of stiffness in my back from yesterday's backbends, but that's to be expected. Ready to sweat it out on my mat. Tuesday, July 10, 2018 (Part II) I'm writing this off my mat, already showered up for my day. I love going to my mat.  The physical challenge alone is reward enough, but, while I've said it many times before, the mental and spiritual adjustments that one can make are priceless.  Physically, I already see a difference in my body.  Arms are still re-building their stamina, but the twists and forward bends I incorporate are already helping with digestion and elimination and the general "deflating" of my body and G.I. track (TMI, I'm sure, but this is one of the main physical reasons why I practice). Mentally, I feel prepared for anything that comes my way today and fe...

Are Hotdogs Real Beef?- And Other Insightful Yoga Reflections

Thursday, November 5, 2020 (Part I),  The world we live in, which asks you to be obsessed with money, fame, success, and glamour, isn't real.  No, I don't mean that it's all a hologram, or that the things you read in the "news" aren't actually occurring; rather, I mean that the events shown to us through our screens are filtered so many times, through many different "filtering agents", that the end product that comes through our device isn't anymore "real" than a hotdog is beef.   Delicious, satisfying, and easy.....you can't have too many hotdogs before you start to feel ill, and out of balance.  The same is true for "news" and other nonsense that comes to you via a screen.     Enough chit-chat. time to begin today's practice.  Thursday, November 5, 2020 (Part II),  I was trained, and normally practice, a style of yoga called Ashtanga yoga .  This style is regimented, "faster" in its transitions (usually onl...

Asana

Monday, March 30, 2020 After no physical practice/Asanas on Friday, and no yoga over the weekend, I notice that it's difficult to stay motivated and dedicated to my practice at times.  Additionally, I ran a solo-10K this weekend (the St. Louis GO! Marathon/Half-Marthon/10K was cancelled, like most public events), and the additional tenderness in my feet, legs, etc. definitely told me not to get on my mat. Monday blues/malaise, essentially.....a "negative mind"... When I'm on my mat, feeling like it's pointless, and that the day ahead is pointless, and that the efforts I'll expend to make things better are pointless, I can go back to the foundations of my life.  First, what do I live for?  I live for God.  That is my attempted mantra every day. It is not for me/you to understand the purpose of anything.  Pulling yourself out of an equation is very liberating in that you're no longer attached to the result. It's 5:27AM as I type this, and it...