Skip to main content

Just Do It

Wednesday, March 6, 2024,

It's a famous tag line of Nike, but the simplicity of the phrase is a great one.  Just do it.  Do what?  Well, what is your duty?....your responsibility?....your goal(s)?  Whatever that is, just do it.  Move out of the talking/thinking phase and into the physical phase.

Part II:

I'm on my mat, having just finished this morning's practice.  There are always factors and excuses for not doing something; this morning, for whatever reason, my stomach is cramping and dancing a jig....I got on my mat anyway.......my muscles are sore from my half-marathon training.....I got on my mat anyway.....doing what you're supposed to do (even if the spirit and drive aren't always there, or always as high as they should be), shows good self-control and helps you break through the malaise and monotony of something....you end up on the other side of it, proud you did it (good spirited or not). 

Namaste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebuild

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Woke at my usual 4:45AM this morning for coffee and contemplation. Feeling wonderful this morning, and not terribly sore at all.  There's a bit of stiffness in my back from yesterday's backbends, but that's to be expected. Ready to sweat it out on my mat. Tuesday, July 10, 2018 (Part II) I'm writing this off my mat, already showered up for my day. I love going to my mat.  The physical challenge alone is reward enough, but, while I've said it many times before, the mental and spiritual adjustments that one can make are priceless.  Physically, I already see a difference in my body.  Arms are still re-building their stamina, but the twists and forward bends I incorporate are already helping with digestion and elimination and the general "deflating" of my body and G.I. track (TMI, I'm sure, but this is one of the main physical reasons why I practice). Mentally, I feel prepared for anything that comes my way today and fe...

Are Hotdogs Real Beef?- And Other Insightful Yoga Reflections

Thursday, November 5, 2020 (Part I),  The world we live in, which asks you to be obsessed with money, fame, success, and glamour, isn't real.  No, I don't mean that it's all a hologram, or that the things you read in the "news" aren't actually occurring; rather, I mean that the events shown to us through our screens are filtered so many times, through many different "filtering agents", that the end product that comes through our device isn't anymore "real" than a hotdog is beef.   Delicious, satisfying, and easy.....you can't have too many hotdogs before you start to feel ill, and out of balance.  The same is true for "news" and other nonsense that comes to you via a screen.     Enough chit-chat. time to begin today's practice.  Thursday, November 5, 2020 (Part II),  I was trained, and normally practice, a style of yoga called Ashtanga yoga .  This style is regimented, "faster" in its transitions (usually onl...

Asana

Monday, March 30, 2020 After no physical practice/Asanas on Friday, and no yoga over the weekend, I notice that it's difficult to stay motivated and dedicated to my practice at times.  Additionally, I ran a solo-10K this weekend (the St. Louis GO! Marathon/Half-Marthon/10K was cancelled, like most public events), and the additional tenderness in my feet, legs, etc. definitely told me not to get on my mat. Monday blues/malaise, essentially.....a "negative mind"... When I'm on my mat, feeling like it's pointless, and that the day ahead is pointless, and that the efforts I'll expend to make things better are pointless, I can go back to the foundations of my life.  First, what do I live for?  I live for God.  That is my attempted mantra every day. It is not for me/you to understand the purpose of anything.  Pulling yourself out of an equation is very liberating in that you're no longer attached to the result. It's 5:27AM as I type this, and it...